Thursday, November 22, 2012

Blessed are the Merciful

Sometimes it's hard to feel thankful when friends and family are sick, and loved ones have died.  It's wearing dealing with illness and death, even when illness is treatable and death is expected.  I'm tired of doctors' offices and emergency rooms.

A few people have made these weeks easier, however, and I thank them for their kindness:

The woman who picked me up in her car 3 weeks ago when I was running to the Duke Emergency Room, afraid that I'd be too late to see my friend Hildegard one last time.

The nurse at the Forest at Duke who, when she saw me the next day and learned that she and I and Hildegard had all grown up near Philadelphia, showed me with delight a large, framed photograph of the city.

The dermatologist I saw Tuesday who is simply the nicest doctor I've ever had.

The receptionist at the Pediatric ENT Clinic who shares my sense of humor and thanked me yesterday for making her laugh.

Our pharmacist Nancy--who I also recognized last year at this time--who is unfailingly kind, professional, and conscientious.

No comments:

Post a Comment