Saturday, February 2, 2013

Hillary Salute

The British band Herman's Hermits released "I'm Henry the Eighth, I Am" in 1965, a song that stands out in my mind for its 3-syllable pronunciation of the word "Henry"--Hen/e/ry rather than Hen/ry.  I thought of this syllabication when I reflected on Hillary Clinton's resignation yesterday as Secretary of State.  Here's the new rendition:

I'm Hillary of State, I am,
Hillary of State, I am, I am,
I retired just the other day
Someone started a new PAC they say
To help me run for the President
To follow in the footsteps of old Bill
I would be the first girl in the job
Yes, sirree, that's me, that's Hill.

Second verse
Changed from the first.

I'm Hillary of State, I am,
Hillary of State, I am, I am,
I've been on the scene for years and years
Toughing out the scorn and all the jeers
But now I sit in the catbird seat
Confident, secure in who I am
All those old, white guys in Washington
Soon will have to call me Ma'am.

No comments:

Post a Comment