Monday, January 7, 2013

A Dog Lover's Life

I had intended to gather interesting quotations from the weekend and post them this morning.  I was prompted by Maureen Dowd's column yesterday in The New York Times, where she rightly applauded Joe Biden's negotiations with Congress and ended by saying, "He knows how to stoop to conquer."  I'm sure I could have found other such observations.  But then life intruded and I got one of those remarks from our dog's vet that makes time stop.  "I'm concerned that he has a brain tumor," he said of our beloved Cassidy.

I've heard similar diagnoses before in my life, sometimes directed at me and sometimes told to me about those I love.  The effect is always the same: the taste of food dulls, the light around me sharpens, and memories flood in.  Life in the moment and on the edge.

In the midst of this, I appreciate above all the kindness of our vet, the love of family and friends, and the wondrous and wonderful companionship of our two dogs, Cassidy and Sundance.  They've brought to my life miracles beyond anything I could ever have imagined, gifts of a lifetime.

Living on the edge is the least I can do for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment