Monday, August 6, 2012

On the Podium

There's something wistful about the summer Olympics, as we rediscover the athlete inside us.  After all, many of the sports comprise those of our childhood--running, jumping, swimming, diving, and gymnastics.  Maybe, just maybe, we say to ourselves, "With a little more practice, I could have been there."

A delusion, of course, but a fun one.  And maybe a necessary one.  For the years creep up and suddenly we're not so nimble.  No wonder the middle-aged hairdresser at the salon this weekend bragged that he could still turn a cartwheel.  No wonder I still try to do splits in the swimming pool.

Allow yourself the dream.  You're standing on the podium and the official places the medal around your neck.  "The Star-Spangled Banner," which usually irritates you with its images of war, instead warms your heart and you swell with pride.  America's best, that's you.

Go for the gold.

2 comments:

  1. Well all I can say is watching the hurdles, uneven bars and balance beam brings back the absolute terror of going to a new school with gymnastic equipment and FIRST DAY being forced to climb from the low bar to the high bar and then roll over and drop down...I was traumatized and crying and this was my first day!

    Falling off the beam or crashing into a hurdle, these both left bruises to more than my ego...try as I might, I CANNOT imagine being on any podium related to sports!

    Glad YOU can , Marge...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know the terror of the uneven parallels, but still the fantasy persists!

    ReplyDelete