Monday, March 5, 2012

Sartorial Spectacle

Is there anyone more uncomfortable-looking than Mitt Romney in jeans? Similarly, can any of us ever buy a sweater vest for the men in our lives after watching Rick Santorum model one after another? It's refreshing, in a way, to see male politicians suffer fashion scrutiny previously reserved for women. After all, about this time 4 years ago, we were commenting on Hillary Clinton's traveling pants, and we'd soon be treated to the debut of Sarah Palin.

Mitt Romney took the sartorial discussion to a new level, though, when he derided NASCAR enthusiasts for wearing plastic rain ponchos. Somehow, I don't want a president who comments on our clothes--especially when they're cheap and the best we can do. He tried to right himself on Fox News later in the week by telling Bill O'Reilly--"Look, I have worn a garbage bag for rain gear myself"--but I think we can agree that he dug himself in deeper.

Still, I credit Mr. Romney with helping me this weekend make a wise fashion choice. Before heading out on a rainy Saturday morning to a school meeting held, uncharacteristically, at one of Durham's most exclusive country clubs, I paused to consider my options. Garbage bag? No. Cheap plastic poncho? No. Slightly less cheap vinyl slicker? No.

With Mitt as my guide, I carried a simple umbrella. And I didn't wear jeans or a sweater vest. He would have been proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment