Thursday, April 29, 2010

A Dog's Life: My Shadow


As Inspired by Robert Louis Stevenson:

I have a little shadow that goes everywhere with me,
He’s my closest little buddy is mostly what I see.
He really, really likes me from my heels up to my head;
And the only time we sep’rate is when I jump into bed.

The funniest thing about him is the way he likes to show—
His devotion and his love for me, which never seem to slow;
For he sometimes gazes at me like a Madonna at her child,
And sometimes when he’s away from me he goes a little wild.

He hasn’t got a notion of how other dogs must play,
And can only make a friend of me in every sort of way.
He stays so close behind me, he’s a fan as you can see;
I think he’d rather spend his day with no one else but me.

One morning, very early, before the sun was up,
I rose and found the shining dew on every buttercup;
And my cheerful little shadow, like an arrant star-struck friend,
Began the summer day with me and stayed until the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment