Sunday, August 9, 2020

Who's It Going to Be?

It's about time for Joe Biden to tell us his VP pick, and just as I did during the presidential primary, I've vacillated in my preferences.  

I started with Stacey Abrams, a formidable and brilliant woman, and decided that her lack of experience in the federal government disqualified her.

I moved on to Val Demings, whose impassioned closing remarks at Trump's impeachment trial impressed me more than anyone else's, and then decided that her experience as a police chief made her vulnerable.  

I thought briefly about Barack Obama's friend and adviser Valerie Jarrett, but she never emerged as a strong contender.  On to Susan Rice, a smart and effective UN ambassador.  I read today, though, an article about her immense wealth and investments in troubling companies, and she's also linked, unfairly, to the Benghazi sham.

Okay.  Deep breath.  What about Karen Bass or Tammy Baldwin?

Answer:

They're all excellent candidates.  Any of the women on Joe Biden's list would distinguish herself as capable, knowledgeable, and compassionate in ways that neither Mike Pence nor Donald Trump can touch.  They're sharp women, leaders in all kinds of settings, with demonstrated values that left the White House on January 20, 2017.

I'll support whoever Joe selects.  What I won't do is this: evaluate her appearance, question her ambition, challenge her strengths, or assess her family.  It's wrong and distracting.  

We need women at the highest levels of government, and now we've got another chance.  It's not one that I intend to waste.

No comments:

Post a Comment