Sunday, February 23, 2020

What Next?

No doubt about it: Bernie Sanders is the undeniable front runner.   My choice, Amy Klobuchar, got trounced in Nevada and has no realistic path to victory.  Now what?

Despite the fact that Klobuchar still projects the qualities and strength that I think are needed for the presidency, I must acknowledge that an overwhelming number of Democrats disagree.  Sanders successfully forged in Nevada a coalition of young adults, Latino citizens, and liberal voters, and he also made inroads with many demographic groups including white, moderate Democrats like me.  No one can ignore the power of his passionate energy.

I have lots of concerns about Sanders heading the ticket, most of all my fear that he won't beat Donald Trump and that he won't encourage the turnout needed to flip the Senate and to keep the House.  I've also been hoping for a winning candidate with a calm, reassuring manner who can restore order in Washington, not exactly a description of Bernie.  If elected, his chronic anger will continue to churn and disquiet our nation.  But perhaps the Sanders voters are telling me something: many Americans are tired of pervasive inequity and don't have time to wait.  They need change now.

Two of my favorite columnists offer opposing views of Bernie's victory.  Jennifer Rubin of The Washington Post details seven steps that must happen immediately to stop Sanders.  Paul Krugman of The New York Times, who also opposes Sanders, offers something different: the case to support Bernie if he's our candidate.

For me, I'll watch Tuesday night's debate and see what happens.  With South Carolina voting on Saturday, we'll get even more information about the coalitions our candidates are and aren't forming.  In the end, all of our Democratic candidates will restore to America the rule of law, the respect for civil servants, the esteem for allies around the world, and the value of the principles enshrined in our Constitution.

Even Bernie.

No comments:

Post a Comment