Monday, June 10, 2013

Who's Got a Secret?

I know I should be upset by the latest reports of government surveillance overreach, but I'm not.  Maybe I'm simply tired.  Maybe I've grown accustomed to the lack of privacy in our electronic world.  Maybe nothing surprises me anymore.

After all, as I'm typing this entry, advertisements pop up on my screen for products similar to ones I've recently bought.  Kroger sends me coupons for favorite groceries.  My medical records are online at Duke, no doubt available to lots of people who work there.  Privacy, if we ever had any, is a thing of the past.

Most of all, though, I think my reaction to this news is governed by my trust in President Obama.  If this disclosure were taking place under President Bush's watch, I'd be outraged.  So because it's happening now, does that make it OK?  No.

But I'd still like to hear a more nuanced discussion and analysis of the surveillance, rather than big headlines and angry denunciations.  I'd like to hear from knowledgeable, impartial experts, rather than from reporters--who aren't necessarily national security mavens.

Then maybe I'll form an opinion and not feel so worn down by the constant, instantaneous chatter of the press.

No comments:

Post a Comment