Thursday, December 8, 2011

Hysterical Mothers

In her book, Overtreated: Why Too Much Medicine is Making Us Sicker and Poorer, Sharon Brownlee analyzes the shortcomings of American medical care. It's an excellent book for lots of reasons, though I was most struck by one doctor's comments.

Cyndra Mogayzel, a primary care physician no longer in practice, operated a successful inner-city clinic in the 1990s largely, she believes, because she took the time to listen to patients. As such, she became expert at handling "hysterical mothers," about whom she has this to say:

"A quote 'hysterical mother' is one of three things. . . One, her kid is really sick and nobody is listening to her. If you think something is wrong with your kid, and nobody is listening, nothing makes you crazier. Two, her kid isn't sick and nobody has bothered to take the time to explain to her what's going on and why she doesn't need to worry. Or three, she is stressed for some other reason--divorce, domestic violence, financial problems--and you need to know what's going on in order to properly care for and protect the child."

Having felt like a hysterical mother more than once, I wish that Dr. Mogayzel could impart her wisdom to her former colleagues. For I find that even doctors who are mothers have dismissed me and my concerns to the detriment of my children's health.

The myth of the all-knowing doctor is simply that. Who observes a child more closely: a mother or a doctor? It seems like a silly question, yet our health care is predicated on a belief that a doctor's 5-minute (at most) interaction with a child yields more information than a mother's 24/7 observation.

No wonder we're crazy. The experts write us off.

Next time you see a hysterical mother, or feel like one yourself, think twice. It's the system that's crazy.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, have I ever had the experience of being treated as if I were completely irrational by a medical "professional"? More than I care to post...the THREE doctors who told me that an adverse reaction to anesthesia was not hereditary--the ER pediatric dentist who was incensed when I asked for a second opinion and if I didn't go along with HIS treatment then I would be responsible for permanent damage to my child's teeth--and more and yet each time I WAS right in my assessment. I guess there's a reason Cyndra Mogayzel got out of the business...too bad.

    ReplyDelete