Thursday, January 13, 2011

Tucson

After President Obama's moving remarks last night at the University of Arizona, the music of John Lennon filled the air for a brief moment as we listened to "Imagine." As I sang along, I was struck by the many dates and locations in my life that are marked by violence: The Dakota in New York; November 22; Dallas; Memphis; the kitchen of the Ambassador Hotel; Columbine; September 11; Virginia Tech; and now Tucson.

If we are to become the nation that President Obama inspired us to be, I wish we could become a less violent one, both in word and in deed. That anyone needs to own a Glock mystifies me. That some with mental illness are left, untreated, to simmer and finally erupt disturbs me. That violent imagery is considered an acceptable part of our heritage angers me. That children end up in the path of gunfire saddens me.

How will the world end? Robert Frost asks in his poem "Fire and Ice." From what I've seen of this troubled landscape, it will end in both. For desire and hatred seem interwoven in this complicated land of ours, and we keep losing our way--only to find ourselves mourning another Tucson.

At the same time, I hope John Lennon will never stop singing. Imagine, just imagine, "all the people/Living life in peace."

Just imagine.

No comments:

Post a Comment